This is a recipe that I found on pinterest. I am unsure of the origin, but I found the recipe here. It is mouth watering and delicious. Although the recipe calls for a certain temperature to be reached, I also suggest watching the color of the toffee while cooking. It should be a pale tan like in the picture. It is a bit lighter than a graham cracker. If you take it off too soon, it will be chewy rather than crunchy.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 1955
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 221g
Saturated Fat 140g
Trans Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 9g
Monounsaturated Fat 57g
Total Carbohydrates 275g
Dietary Fiber 4g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 c. butter
- 1 c. sugar
- 3 Tbl. water
- 1/8 tsp. salt (omit if you use salted butter)
- 1 1/2 Tbl. light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. chocolate chips
- I made this with chopped nuts as I love nuts.
- I heated the oven to 350 and put slivered almonds and walnuts in the 8 X 8 pan for about 10 minutes.
- Watch them carefully so they don't burn.
- You can really use any nuts that you like...pecans...peanuts.
- I did reserve some of the toasted nuts to also place on top of the chocolate.
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottom sauce pan, over medium-low heat.
- Add the sugar, water and salt; stir well to incorporate.
- Bring to a boil and add the corn syrup.
- While stirring, use a wet pastry brush to wash down the sides of the pan to dissolve any undissolved sugar crystals.
- Continue boiling and stirring until mixture reaches 290-295 degrees (at high altitude, you only need to go to about 280).
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract.
- Stir to combine and pour into a well-buttered cookie sheet or an 8x8 square pan.
- Do not scrape the sides of the pan.
- Use a rubber scraper and spread out to desired thickness.
- You can either drop the chocolate chips onto the hot toffee and spread out when melted or you can melt the chocolate in the microwave and spread over the toffee.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts, if adding.
- Allow to set up completely, then break into chunks.
- Store in an air-tight container.