Fry Bread Tacos
We have tried many recipes for fry bread. This one from allrecipes.com is by far the best! The recipe says it makes 4 servings, however, we have found that you can get 6-8 good sized fry breads out of these ingredients.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 1706
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 192g
Saturated Fat 54g
Trans Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 20g
Monounsaturated Fat 101g
Total Carbohydrates 304g
Dietary Fiber 36g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can pinto beans, with liquid
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups oil for frying, or as needed
- Combine beans and 2 tablespoons of picante sauce in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook until heated through.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef with taco seasoning mix according to seasoning mix package directions.
- Cover, and keep warm while you prepare the fry bread.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in milk, and mix until the dough comes together.
- Add more flour if necessary to be able to handle the dough.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth, at least 5 minutes.
- Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large, deep heavy skillet to 365 degrees F.
- Oil should be about 1 1/2 inches deep.
- Break off 3/4 cup sized pieces of dough, and shape into round discs 1/4 inch in thickness, making a thinner depressed area in the center.
- (again, this amount makes a huge fry bread. Try using 1/2 cup or less if you want a smaller one).
- Fry breads in the hot oil until golden on both sides, turning only once. Drain on paper towels.
- Top fry bread with beans, ground beef, lettuce and cheese.
- Spoon picante sauce over.
- You can also top with other of your favorite taco toppings, such as onion, sour cream or guacamole.