These bars are simply to die for! You can be sure these will turn out wonderful even if you do not own custard powder or unsalted butter.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 92
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 11g
Saturated Fat 6g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrates 23g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup (30 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (200 grams) graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup (65 grams) sweetened or unsweetened coconut (shredded or flaked)
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (56 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 - 3 tablespoons milk or cream
- 2 tablespoons (20 grams) vanilla custard powder (Bird's) or vanilla pudding powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (230 grams) powdered sugar
- 4 ounces (120 grams) semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter
- Butter or spray a 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23 cm) pan with a non stick vegetable spray.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sugar and cocoa powder and then gradually whisk in the beaten egg.
- Return the saucepan to low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens (1 - 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and chopped nuts.
- Press the mixture evenly onto the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (about an hour).
- In your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat until the mixture is smooth.
- If the mixture is too thick to spread, add a little more milk.
- Spread the filling over the bottom layer, cover, and refrigerate until firm (about 30 minutes).
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces.
- Then, in a heatproof bowl, over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter.
- Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the filling and refrigerate for about 10 minutes or just until the chocolate has set.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into squares.